Pet Health Insurances
The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) strongly suggests that all pet owning families assess their financial situation and consider their ability to meet unexpected expenses that may be incurred for veterinary care. For some families, these expenses may be met by starting a savings account for your pet. Many may be able to use credit card reserves or medical payment cards such as Care Credit. Other families should consider budgeting for these expenses and some may want to consider protecting themselves through pet health insurance policies.
Today, pet health insurance is available to offset the costs of your furry friends’ medical expenses. Severn River Animal Hospital is not affiliated with any pet health insurance company but we can give you information that the American Animal Hospital Association has approved.
For those considering pet health insurance, AAHA offers the following suggestions:
· Be sure you understand what the policy covers. Some policies (but not all) cover some preventative care, such as vaccinations, but there may be additional cost for this coverage.
· Understand the exclusions. Almost all policies exclude pre-existing conditions and some exclude hereditary conditions. Some may exclude certain conditions unique to certain breeds.
· Almost all policies have a deductible and a co-pay requirement. Some pay according to a set schedule of “usual and customary fees” while some pay based on the actual incurred expense. Be sure you understand how expenses will be reimbursed.
· Ask whether or not the policy allows you to seek care from a veterinarian of your own choosing or whether you must go to a veterinarian that participates in the company’s network of providers. When faced with a pet’s serious illness, most pet owners want to be able to obtain care from their regular veterinarian.
· Speak with your veterinarian or someone on her practice team. While veterinarians do not sell insurance, chances are they have had experience with the policy you are considering and can provide helpful advice.
Again, veterinary care helps provide your pet with many years of healthy and happy life. Managing the expense of veterinary care can be done in a number of ways; the important advice is to think about it before the need arises.